Monday, October 17, 2016

New York State of Mind


This post will be short and sweet. Short because I'm flying to New York City tomorrow with a girlfriend. And there are outfits to be tried on, ironed, packed... etc etc. And sweet because... well ... tomorrow I'm flying to New York City with a girlfriend. And I'm excited. It's my sixtieth birthday treat to myself. Albeit a few months late. But who cares? As my friend Elizabeth said when I asked her if she wanted to come along... "Autumn in New York. Sounds good to me."

New York City

We've had our flights and hotel booked for a while. What will we do when we get there? We've done our homework. We've lots of ideas, and recommendations, and we've narrowed down what we don't care about, and what we do. But as for making specific plans.... we've not made up our minds yet. We plan to walk a lot, and shop some. See a show, or maybe two. Visit some museums, we're not sure which ones yet. And other than that... eat, sip wine... and enjoy just being there. 

Just being there will be great. 

So, my friends. I'll be in touch in a few days. In the meantime. I am truly in a "New York State of Mind." 

Love this Billy Joel song.




21 comments:

  1. Not surprised you are excited - can't wait to here all about it . Have a great time .
    Wendy in York

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy. We did have a great time...so great I didn't have time to answer blog comments:)

      Delete
  2. I get to "live in" New York City at least twice each year, when I visit my son and stay in his apartment in a Brooklyn brownstone. For a person who lived in Manhattan for a couple of years at the start of the 1970's, New York City today is a dream, and every sojourn there is even better than the last. I do not shop, other than for groceries and flowers; I just partake of daily life and the arts with my son and his friends and the other two families living in the brownstone. It is delightful and wonderfully exhausting. Have a lovely time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderfully exhausting is right. My friend and I intend to go back next year...we just scratched the surface this time.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I love NYC! Have fun and let us know what you wore when you get back, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anne. I will... although the outfits will be cobbled together as I try to stay cool in the surprising heat.

      Delete
  4. What a perfect birthday gift! I'm sure you have your list of "clothes to buy". Have a wonderful time! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenn. I have a sketchy list... but am open to buying anything that I really love.

      Delete
  5. Enjoy and have a wonderful time! Great idea for your birthday!
    And please,tell us a lot of stories! And don't forget the photos! And a packing list!
    Dottoressa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dottoressa. Stories are in the works as I write this.

      Delete
  6. Have fun - the weather here is expected to be about 80F so bring summer clothes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm home now... and can't quite believe that it was 28 Celsius just a few days ago. Freezing now!

      Delete
  7. Sounds wonderful. Autumn in New York. What's not to love? Enjoy. Iris

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a wonderful time! I look forward to hearing all about it and I agree with Dottoressa... I'd love to know how you packed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be writing about what I wore..although it won't be exciting.

      Delete
  9. As others have noted, it's really hot here. And if I may make a suggestion: consider the prix-fixe lunch at Gotham Bar and Grill. Great value, great food, beautiful room. Have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time, Phoebe. I'll put that restaurant on my list. We've decided that we have to go back next year.

      Delete
  10. You've got that New York State of Mind, for sure. Soak it all in and have the best of times! (We're going next Saturday, sorry we missed you!) xox

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patti. It would have been lovely to meet up. Maybe next time. Elizabeth and I are hooked and are already talking about next year's trip.

      Delete
  11. I'm glad you and your friend had a blast, Sue.

    ...and that Carole King show looks pretty decent.

    ReplyDelete

All comments, ideas, commiserations, questions, complaints... are most welcome.