Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Consider the Blouse


Considering that it's August, I should be thinking about fall. And fall fashion. 'Tis the season, or soon will be. And after my post last week about the blue shirt vs the white shirt, I've been considering tops. Blouses in particular. Then I saw this e-mail from Net-a-porter.com in my mailbox. 

net-a-porter.com
                                               
I do love a silk blouse, especially one with ruffles, or a tie neck, or even a "pussy bow." Pussy Bow blouses (or pussy cat bow, as they were originally called) have been around for years, decades... a century, even. And according to Net-a-porter.com, they're back. 

And not just Net-a-porter.  Preston Davis featured these "forever pieces" from the Wall Street Journal article recently on her blog Keep It Chic. WSJ's article "Your Style Guide to Pre-Fall Collections" included a lovely cream tie blouse by Derek Lam. 

source
And although these models at the Gucci Fall/Winter 2015-2016 Show may look a bit dour, and the outfits a bit too dowdy-chic for my taste... I do get the point. Pussy bow blouses are back... in a big way.

source

And they haven't actually been gone that long, you know. This outfit on Ines de la Fressange, was labelled one of the "must have looks" in 2011. 


This is a close-up of Ines in her "must-have" blouse. I love this shot. She's chic and polished, as usual. But looks like a beautiful, fifty-something, stylish woman should look. Lines and all.





This is uber-it-girl Alexa Chung, below, in her polka dot pussy bow "must-have" blouse of the moment. As sarcastic as that appelation sounds, "uber-it-girl" I mean, I do love her blouse and she does look cute in that outfit. That suede mini-skirt is very 60's isn't it? I remember my older sister had a suede skirt with snaps like that in the 60's. Or was that me in the 70's? Anyhoo. Even though that memory is a bit hazy, what's perfectly clear is that pussy bow blouses are here again. 
source
Now this may come as a surprise to some, but I don't actually pay toooo much attention to the "must have" exhortations of editors or fashion bloggers, unless they happen to coincide with my own "must have" list, or if the "must have" item in question happens to have resided in my closet, unworn, for a few years. Then, well, then I listen. Especially if it's the latter. It's soooo much fun to participate in a trend when it costs you nothing at all. Except maybe the cost of dry cleaning said item.  

And it so happens that I own a pussy bow blouse, that still fits, and that I still love. It's a purple Tory Burch blouse from 2008. See.

Purple Tory Burch pussy bow blouse

I hauled it out last Christmas because I thought I might wear it with my leather trousers to a Christmas house party that Hubby and I always attend. But as it happens I wore something else. So poor pussy bow blouse has sat unworn since...oh... 2012, at least.


Tory Burch pussy bow blouse, Vince leather trousers

Well, let fall 2015 be its season of resurrection. I can wear it with my Helmut Lang jacket, my faded Citizens of Humanity jeans and these burgundy Tory Burch flats in the early fall. 

Tory Burch pussy bow blouse, Helmut Lang jacket, Citizens of Humanity jeans, Tory Burch ballet flats     Tory Burch pussy bow blouse, Helmut Lang jacket, Citizens of Humanity jeans, Tory Burch ballet flats   
  


Or when the temperature drops later in the fall, I can wear it with these Paige high-rise skinny jeans, my black Stuart Weitzman loafers, and my new grey Vince coat sweater. 

Grey Vince coat sweater, purple Tory Burch pussy bow blouse, Paige high-rise skinny jeans, black Stuart Weitzman loafers        Grey Vince coat sweater, purple Tory Burch pussy bow blouse, Paige high-rise skinny jeans, black Stuart Weitzman loafers.
  


And speaking of women who know how to tie on a pussy bow... Margaret Thatcher was famous for her bows. She thought they softened her look. Who knew she thought about such things. Blog and learn, Suz...blog and learn.

source
And speaking of blogging and learning. Did you know that the concept of the "it girl" is attributed to writer Elinor Glyn? Although Rudyard Kipling used the term before she did. And the very first "it girl" was the actress Clara Bow? There's an interesting article in The Guardian.com about the origin of the term and the fate of famous "it girls" on both sides of the Atlantic.

Now I have to wrap up this post before I do something silly like chucking my i-pad mini out the window, or taking a large hammer to it. I'm at my mum's this week, and trying to write this post on my i-pad is...well... challenging... frustrating... and inefficient. I apologize for any weird anomalies of formatting.  

So, I'm signing off and instead of considering committing violence against technology... I'm going to make a cup of tea and consider all the other ways I can wear my old/new pussy bow blouse this fall.  




What about you? Are you a fan of the pussy bow blouse? 


Linking up this week with: What I Wore at The Pleated Poppy, Passion 4 Fashion at Rachel the Hat, Fun Fashion Friday at Fashion Should Be Fun, Friday Finds at Forage Fashion, Casual Friday at Two Thirty-Five Designs, Hello Monday (at More Pieces of Me and Sincerely Jenna Marie), and Fabulous Friday at  A Pocketful of Polkadots

34 comments:

  1. Great post. I love pussybow blouses, can't wait to add some more to my wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. One is enough for me. Although I do love them too.

      Delete
  2. Rather scary seeing Margaret Thatcher again , so early in the morning - not a favorite of mine . Nor pussy-cat bow blouses either , not with my grown up ( older lady ) bust line , it's all too cluttered . I think they need a long neck too & that's not me either . I love your blouse though & you wear it well
    Wendy in York

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nor mine, Wendy. And who knew she cared about her "look." I would never wear my blouse with a skirt or suit anymore... it needs jeans or leather to toughen it up.

      Delete
  3. I love bow blouses...you look great in yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your Vince coat jacket. I do like the bow blouses, worn a few in my time. Maybe will try them again this Fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Eleni. Me too... I can remember a bow blouse in my wardrobe in almost every decade.

      Delete
  5. Your OOTDs are going from strength to strength! I'm not a fan of the bow blouse, although I wouldn't rule one out, depending on fit and fabric (soft drape, low-profile would be my preference) and I've certainly fallen for earlier iterations. You're smart to have saved yours and you demonstrate very convincingly the value of a well-organized, well-edited wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thanks, Frances. I think I've always been a fan of slightly "prissy" blouses. I love them with jeans and boots. My wardrobe organization does verge on the obsessive at times.

      Delete
  6. Someone stated that if you have worn a trend once, the second time around DON'T wear it again. In the late 70s I had a couple variations of the pussy bow blouse which I loved. I would have to try one on to decide how. it looks on me now. I find that as I age I prefer less fussiness around my face and neck, but I could sure be swayed by a top as pretty as yours. Can the puffy sleeves and deep cuffs or that era be far behind?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear.... puffy sleeves.... I will NOT go there again!!

      Delete
  7. Get those leather pants back out! You look great in them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! I am a big fan of silk bow tie blouse as well! I usually wear them a long or with a blazer&sweater. Yours is really cute! :)
    Take care and keep in touch!
    Please stop by every Wednesday for Color and Grace Fashion link up! :)

    Grace
    http://colorandgrace.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace. I will be sure to stop by.

      Delete
  9. Well look at me caught pussy-bow-less! I'll keep my eyes open! Love that you had the perfect blouse waiting in your closet for you to revive it! Fun post, Dear!

    Thanks so much for being a part of Fun Fashion Friday!

    OXOX
    Dawn Lucy
    http://fashionshouldbefun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the bow blouses are so cute! I need to get mroe for my wardrobe!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love bow blouses -- they've never gone out of style for me! I really liked reading this post -- visiting from Hello Monday linkup :)

    Jen @ Librarian for Life + Style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen. And thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  12. Oh my gosh I LOVE that blouse on you! I particularly like it tied, the way the bow hang and makes a little v-neck? You can really carry off that volume in the shoulder axis. Also, Tory Burch is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa. Yep... my "shoulder axis" is pretty wide. haha TB stuff really lasts, too. My blouse and flats are years old and still spiffy.

      Delete
  13. I also love the pussy bow blouse. For me though I have to have ones where the tie is lower down like a v neck as it suits my figure. I love your blouse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lornamai. I love a high neck blouse, usually, even though this one isn't.

      Delete
  14. Oh, you Must wear this blouse more often - it is gorgeous! I like the many ways you styled it here, and you have made me consider more casual ways to style all of my bow blouses. I am huge fan of the style and have quite a few in my wardrobe.

    Jennie - A Pocketful of Polka Dots

    Come join me for the Fabulous Friday Link-Up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennie. I'll be sure to do that.

      Delete
  15. I've never been a fan of bows on tops, my chest is large enough as it is without layers of fabric on top. I do love your outfit and how you styled it. The pants look great on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy. I hear you; we all have to be aware of what trend we can do and what we should leave alone, eh? Blouses tucked into highwaisted pants...with my short waist I'm staying FAR away from that trend.

      Delete
  16. Oh no,I gave all of mine away. I thouhjt the maxim was if you an remember wearing it in years past you shouldn'r wear it again. I had beautiful YSL blouses. Maybe they wouldn't fit me now, Youlook great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's too bad. They'd probably have been gorgeous with jeans. I'm certainly not wearing mine like I would have in the 70's or even the 90's. I think that's the key.

      Delete

All comments, ideas, commiserations, questions, complaints... are most welcome.