Monday, May 26, 2014

A Tale of Two Sweaters

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..." 
                        Charles Dickens,  A Tale of Two Cities. 



I have two new sweaters hanging in my closet. Two. Sigh. I love them both. 

Definitely "the best of times," when one has TWO new things from which to choose.

I bought them at the Brooks Brother's outlet store in Naples Florida when we were there visiting friends in March. I was looking specifically for a striped blue and white tee shirt, saw the sweater and bought it instead. But that yellow one was calling my name too. I love the colour and the stripes on the sleeves keep it from being boring.

Look at them. From the picture, you'd think that they work together to round out my style choices for spring, complimenting each other, each filling a different niche in my wardrobe: one is cool, one warm; one goes with gold accessories, one with silver. 

But there you would be wrong, my friend. No... these two are in mortal conflict all the time. For my affections. Pick me, pick me. Making my morning fraught with indecision. Which one should I wear??!!




I do love the yellow one. I didn't think that I could wear yellow. Usually it makes me look ill. But this sunny colour I really liked on me.



It will look great with my white, cropped Hudson jeans and my Paige jean jacket, my Tod's loafers, and my huge Michael Kors bag. 


Yep. Casual, comfortable, very #retired but not giving up on fashion yet.



I could even switch out the jeans and instead wear my tan pencil skirt which was such a staple in my wardrobe when I was working. 



But I really feel like I need to take my new Kate Spade bag out for a spin. I also bought this outlet shopping in Naples. 60% off the outlet price...how could I not? 




So it must be the blue striped sweater, then. I can still wear my white jeans and Paige jacket. I rummaged in my closet and found these Stuart Wiseman flats from 2007. 

A pointy-toed flat is very "on trend" this season. How clever of me NOT to get rid of them 5 years ago. I regularly cull my closet; we have a small house and not much storage space. But if something does not show wear, I still love it and it still fits...I stash it until it comes back in style.



Okay. This is just as casual, just as comfortable, just as #I'm stylin' the trend in a grown-up/ retired person way. 

And now that I think about it,  this look is a bit more dressed-up than the other. The shoes and the purse are a bit more "downtown" or is it "uptown"???? Whatever.


I'm all set; decision made. 

But from my closet I can hear the faint but still distinct whining of my abandoned yellow sweater. Pick me. Pick me. Ohhhhhh you must pick me! 

I still hear it ever so faintly as I pick up my car keys and close the door. Voices in my closet? Jeeze.. I'd better be careful. I'm getting as bad as that kid in "The Rockinghorse Winner." 

So..."It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...?"

Mornings fraught with indecision, hearing voices...uh, so not good. Maybe not exactly the "worst of times" but ... still... not good.

And thus endeth my "Tale of Two Sweaters." 
"I'll pick you tomorrow, I promise,"  I murmur to myself, as I start the car.





Any wardrobe conflicts in your closet, this spring?






30 comments:

  1. The same thing happened to me last week while visiting my mom in California. I had just bought a great pair of black and white printed pants AND a great long white and black striped skirt. Both worked equally well with my black tunic and I must have switched them out 5 times before I finally had to JUST PICK ONE! The pants won:) Glad to know someone else does this too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wardrobe indecision in the morning....I can't count the number of times over the years I left for work with a pile of clothes on my bed...because I didn't have time to put them away. And it seems the less time I had the more indecisive I was! I finally resorted to making my decisions the night before, so I wouldn't waste time in the morning.
      Thanks for stopping by, Sue. Loved your latest post on My Life in Links!

      Delete
  2. Woa...you did some great bargain shopping. I love Brooks Brothers and that bag is gorgeous! Excellent selections!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never shopped at Brooks Brothers before. I don't know if they have stores in Canada. And they had a great deal that day: buy two items and get the third free. So I bought two sweaters..and got a great pair of walking shorts for free! Then later the Kate Spade bag. All in all... a momentous shopping day!

      Delete
  3. I was so excited about your items...that I forgot to say thanks for stopping by the Thursday Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I answered this post, saying I've just bought a few new linen sweaters at J Crew, ones that will similarly compete for their turn out. But it got swallowed by blogger. . . again! You make both your choices look very stylish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about your comment being "eaten"...that's so frustrating! I can't wait for J Crew t come to Ottawa! Supposed to be in 2015...I think.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful bargain shopping!! I'm excited - your outfits are casual but they lool also very elegant! This is the art of styling I love most.
    I also love your haircut.. looks so cute on you :)
    The bags are great!!

    have a nice week
    Dana
    (I hope you understand my bad english, I´m from Germany)

    http://danalovesfashionandmusic.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danke, Dana. Wonderful to have a reader from Germany. I have only been once, many years ago...but at the time I was so impressed by the style of women on the streets. I will have to check out your blog!

      Delete
  6. Wow, I love your style, Susan! Pretty sure this is my first visit (I found you on the Katherine's Corner bloghop), but definitely not my last!
    BTW, I love both sweaters too! :)

    Cindy at Notes in the Key of Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy! I haven't had such a sweater conundrum in a long time. Probably because...like my mother always taught me...I usually choose ONE thing when I'm shopping!
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. Like both sweaters but its your handbags I love. A Kate Spade is a real treasure. Your outfits are great.
    Suzanne
    www.chapter-two.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzanne. I love my Michael Kors bag too. Even though it's a summer bag I carry it well into fall because of the colour. Now that I'm retired, I can make my bag a part of my outfit..instead of stashing it in my desk as soon as I arrive at work! Yeah for life changes!

      Delete
  8. Both outfits are cute - you will have to tell them that you love them both, and they will each get a turn! I am partial to yellow though. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lana. I try to treat all my outfits equally...but it's hard not to play favourites! ;)

      Delete
  9. giggle, I am rarely challenged by such things. I love both outfits. Thank you for sharing your sweet blog at the Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop. Your participation helps to make it extra special ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. All of these stylings with both rival sweaters are perfect. Exactly my own style preferences...except I'm not yet retired...but merely a part-timer and this look works for my days off or my semi casual office.
    You're lucky you have such lovely sweaters vying for your affections. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa. Semi casual definitely can work for both on the job and after the job. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  11. Well, no wrong choices! I favor the yellow, but all your finds look great. Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, actually. Love that yellow. Thanks for hosting Visible Mondays...so glad that I stumbled upon it.

      Delete
  12. Both looks are great! I think your second one, the sweater that won, is very chic looking and uptown/downtown as you say but the yellow was pretty on you and I love yellow with navy. I have a sweater that I love for its comfort, it is pretty and the colour flattering on me and yet overall I feel it is rather casual or perhaps it just doesn't sing with many things I have. I wear it with jeans when I am likely to be staying home or in a situation where I would possibly just throw on a tee shirt. I think of it as my upscale version of sweatshirt dressing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shawna. Seems like the yellow is the hands down favourite. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  13. As an English teacher AND a fashion blogger, I'm so happy when style meets a literary reference! Thanks for that! :D Love your style and I want your handbags!
    OXOX
    Dawn Lucy
    Fashionshouldbefun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dawn. Great to find someone who understands the urge to quote Shakespeare (or Dickens) when discussing fashion!

      Delete
  14. I think you'd look and feel terrific in either one of those looks. Thanks for the entertaining post!
    Sharon, visiting from Visible Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. And thanks for reading!

      Delete
  15. You wear yellow like no other blonde I've ever seen, or strawberry-blonde, or redhead! Just shows to go that it's the right shade for the right beauty! The blue is delicious too ... classic. Slight favor to the yellow, for my part.
    My clothes are sneering. " You're not taking us out in that, are you? It's ninety degrees and pouring down rain. We don't go out with rain-coats. Wake us up when the sun is shining. zzzzzzz ...."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan! What a lovely compliment. Rain here too today...and warm with it. How to dress to be cool and dry...now that's a challenge.

      Delete

All comments, ideas, commiserations, questions, complaints... are most welcome.