Monday, February 24, 2014

Saving Money on the Spring Trends...Shopping My Own Closet!


I've been noticing a few things this past week as I pedal my exercise bike and peruse the looks for spring in the ongoing search for my perfect spring coat ... well, beside the fact that I seem to lust most over the coats I can't afford. 

One thing is that there is a ton of white, and many all white looks, which I think most people can't do well, certainly not me. 

And lots of beautiful colour...and wonderful prints.

And another is that there are several looks... trends... whatever... that I already own, at least partly. 


Like this small shoulder bag by Marni that I found on Netaporter.com
Marni bag.

It's similar to a Michael Kors bag that I own and haven't used in a couple of years. Hmmmmm...I guess I'd better drag that out of the closet this spring. Well, actually... I already did...so I could take this picture.

My own Michael Kors bag 
       Mine is not as nice as the Marni bag. But it cost a whole lot less! 

                    I saw this picture a few days ago on one of my favourite blogs Keep It Chic.

Natasha Poly by Mario Sorrenti for Vogue March 2014
as seen in Keep It Chic by Preston Davis
Now, I certainly couldn't wear that dress (not anymore, anyway. And well, to be truthful, probably not ever!) but I think I own those shoes...almost.

My Stuart Weizmann's from 2011
I love a pointy-toed, low-heeled shoe! They look great with pants and skirts... and I love these patent,  black and grey ones of mine with my leather pants and in the spring with cropped pants.

                             This summer I might even wear these cream Stuart Weitzman sling-backs again.



They are from quite a few years ago, at least five. I haven't worn them for several years, but I couldn't bring myself to get rid of them. I love them because they are so feminine and comfortable. And have a kitten heel, which I am seeing all over the place this season.


Kitten Heels all over the place on Glamour.com

                                         
In fact, there are a ton of looks for spring that I could manage with a remix of items from my own closet. That way I'll get more mileage out of items I already own and save some money.

So I go virtual shopping, again.

I love "window shopping" on Netaporter.com. They always style their clothes into such cool outfits. It's a good place to go for ideas. I'll search the site for a skirt, a pair of pants or a sweater that is similar to one I own, and then see how they style it. And how I might update what I already own.

My rust and pink, floral skirt (knee length with big, box pleats and a print that is a bit like a watercolour painting) and which looks kind of like this...
Dolce & Gabbana skirt on Netaporter.com 
just needs a new sweater to freshen it up. Maybe a soft sweat shirt? Let's see...blue or pink?

                                
                                     Reed Krakoff at netaporter.com
Marlene Birger at netaporter.com

Or I could wear my tan, pencil skirt with a casual sweater and flat sandals to make it look less business-like, kind of like this...

Nina Ricci skirt at netaporter.com

You should try it...virtual shopping followed by a tour of your own closet. You never know what new combinations you'll discover. And what hot items for spring that you already own.

And when you do...drop me a line and let me know what you found.





No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments, ideas, commiserations, questions, complaints... are most welcome.